Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Introduction to My Blog


We Need To Have A Word. A statement that ca evoke fear of a pending uncomfortable conversation. Through this blog, I hope that the meaning shifts and when you hear We Need To have A Word, you think of the beauty of the word.  

How will I work to accomplish this lofty goal? By learning or re-learning 52 words that were picked by John R. Dallas, Jr., the author of "We Need To Have A  Word." Seeing the demise of language, due to exploding technology, Dallas asks us to slow down and spend time with words. Additionally, the author hopes we reacquaint ourselves with their meanings, uses and misuses, so that we’re more conscious of words. 

Dallas breaks the book down to a word-a-week. During the week, he suggests that the reader focus on how the word is used, misused, and even at times misleading.  

For the next 52 weeks, I’m going post a blog about each word and how that particular word impacts my life. Why?  Because Dallas says in his preface that after the 52 weeks, the practice “will improve results at work, home and everywhere.”  

I’m very interested at improving my life. When I’ve tried in the past, by reading many self help books that made the promise, sadly, I’ve had minimal results.  

I’m scared. Scared of typos, grammatical errors, comments. Mostly, that I won't see any improvement. In the past, I’ve stopped many projects because of fear. This blog offers me an accountable way to read a chapter a week and write a post. So, if no one reads this but me and I’m able to see the changes Dallas says, this project will be a success. Even if I don't see the profound changes, I will have seen a project to its conclusion.  

I invite you to purchase his book and read along. Or, just read the blog. I’d be pleased to hear from you, and learn how the words are impacting or not impacting your life  

I welcome criticism. I do ask that you please make it constructive.    

Enjoy the week. 

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At March 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Alissa said...

Jan,
I've bookmarked your blog and I'm looking forward to reading your posts. Congratulations on getting started!
Alissa Dziekonski King

 
At March 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM , Blogger the communicatrix said...

I'm really excited to watch your project unfold, and to see how you grow along with it. I, too, am a recovering self-help-book junkie, and I agree that while learning is great, the change is in the doing.

Keep up the good work, and ENJOY!

 
At March 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM , Blogger rwhirn said...

I love it. Great idea!

 
At March 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love it, too. Communication is *so* important and words are its stock-in-trade. Bravo for starting this.

Let your content be *you* and be not afraid! Those that love it and are drawn to it will let you know. Those that don't probably will, too. That's how life is.

As far as being scared of typos and grammatical errors, I have two suggestions. The first is: proofread. Do it once. Then again. Then a third time (there are at least three typos or grammatical errors in your post!). If I am serious about words and communication, then I should be serious about communicating without these distractions. The second is: do your best then let it go. Your passion is the important thing. People will fuss and carp (like me). Let it go.

Oh, and another thing. "I've had minimal results." ... I beg to differ!

So, I'm excited about this journey you have begun. I love words. I even love discovering my own misuses and misunderstandings.

Bring it on!

 
At March 6, 2013 at 5:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks all for the great support. And, excellent advice on proofreading. This will also be a lot of fun, which as you all know, I love to have fun.

 
At March 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM , Blogger Catherine said...

Go Jan Go! I'm delighted to see you up and running (or writing). What is the first word so I can start thinking about it?
Catherine

 
At March 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great stuff Jan. I look forward to sharing your journey

 
At March 12, 2013 at 7:09 AM , Blogger robhyman said...

Jan,
I've bookmarked your blog and I will read each new episode. You have taken on an ambitious goal. Good for you!
Best,
Rob

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home