Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mentor and Ascend

Feminine Mystique. Leaning In. The discussion of women and ascendency are back in the news after a dormant period. Ascendancy, this weeks word. 

It's been 50 years since Betty Frieden, wrote “Feminine Mystique”  A book that defined women’s lack of fulfilment in the home. Frieden"s work  started a revolution. It's still going on, when in my mind it should be over.  

I'd have to like to think the numbers of women in leadership positions in government and corporate America would've grown by leaps and bounds. But, the glass ceiling is still there waiting for women to take a sledge hammer and smash it wide open. Maybe it’s because women are still raised to not be violent, to be nice, so that taking that sledgehammer to the ceiling so abhorrent. 

Sandberg’s "Lean In" thoughtfully addresses the reasons why women haven’t achieved the same success that's come to easier to men. And, she gives concrete examples of how women can be more successful.  

One powerful suggestion Sandberg offers is the strength of mentorship. Sandberg’s a strong advocate of seeking out mentors and mentoring -- both men and women. This struck a deep cord inside of me. 

I began to reflect on my career and noticed I didn’t have any true mentors, until now. I received help, advice and guidance from many wonderful people. But I didn’t have one (or two or three) people that I could consistently go to for advice, guidance and help. Like many women finding their way in the 80s, I muddled my way to success.  

That’s why I love and try to make mentoring a large part of my career. I want to help women and men up their corporate ladder. Notice that I say, their corporate ladder. Success and leadership are being redefined. It can still be the goal of becoming the first female President of the U.S. or not  We’re in a great age where we define our own Ascendancy. 

Sandberg also changes the imagery from climbing up the corporate ladder, to ascending the jungle gym. I think the jungle gym is a heck of a lot of more fun. And, more productive than burning bras.  

Ascendancy.  What is your jungle gym plan? 

P.S. My new mentor is Elaine Soloway, fabulous blogger and book author. Check her book out "Division Street Princess."   A great book to add to your summer reading list, now that it finally looks like we will have one in Chicago! 

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At May 17, 2013 at 7:02 AM , Blogger John R Dallas Jr said...

Thanks for this post. Coincidentally, yesterday I was discussing my earliest mentors while having lunch at The Gleacher Center with three young entrepreneurs. For the first time I can recall, I choked-up and teared-up as I felt the 40+ years of deep gratitude for Bob Savage, Lyman Hamilton, and James Abernathy, my top three on-call mentors from my mid-20s into my 40s.

As I told the story about the value Bob Savage brought to my life, my normally composed self was suddenly quite the opposite. The three young men were noticeably startled and moved. Our conversation became more real. One month to the date, we agreed to return to the table for follow-up discussion about the role of mentoring in entrepreneurship.

Just this past Monday a pastor wrote to tell me how I influenced him in 1970, and how I even directed his choice of clothing and his purchase of a certain German car. Until his note, I totally forgot taking him under my wing -- to share the mentoring value I had received from others. I was 20 years old. And I just learned he was 27. I have not heard from this man since 1970. Now we're likely to keep in touch.

So with your blog post, this is a week for deeper and broader focus on mentoring and "reverse mentoring." Truly I learn so much from several people I mentor.

Since teenage years, I remain disciplined to always mentor at least one person. The church of my childhood was pretty insistent on "big brother" type of mentoring. And I have been blessed to always have one or two mentors. Today I have two cherished mentors, Dr. Peter Koestenbaum and attorney Clyde Bowles.

Thanks again, Jan.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home