Thursday, May 30, 2013

What is your secret Aspiration?


We all have them. Some are good, some can be dangerous and others can be darn fun. Some we share, some we keep hidden away in the depth of our soul. What are they? Aspirations. This week’s word.  

In John R. Dallas’s chapter about Aspiration* he asks: “What did you aspire to as a child?” When I gave this some thought, two things came to mind. One was my youthful dream of becoming a stewardess. Remember, this was the late 60‘s-early 70‘s -- the glamour days of travel. You wore great uniforms, traveled to exotic places and met men. There were piano lounges, even for those in coach. How divine!

My other goal was to be a grand hostess. I was in awe of the glamorous movies and their extravagant parties. The elegant dresses, the handsome men who liked to dance and a dreamy love affair. “Philadelphia Story” and the remake of “HIgh Society” are wonderful examples. Didn’t Louis Armstrong perform at all of the important parties? 

My grand hostess aspiration was fueled by my favorite Christmas gift, Little Hostess Buffet. I was six when I received the beige plastic furniture with faux molding that had everything a girl needed to toss the most elegant of parties.  

Not surprisingly, “stewardess” disappeared from my list when I learned you had to clean up after others. Grand Hostess went out as well, because it wasn’t considered a career. 

One of the many things that is becoming clearer while writing this blog is that aspirations needn’t be career oriented. 

The reason I wanted to be a stewardess or in today’s terminology, a flight attendant, wasn’t because it was a career, it was because I wanted to see the world, meet knew people. The reason why I wanted to be a grand hostess, is because I love bringing people together in a festive atmosphere. Great connections can be made in both entertaining and traveling. Just take a look at Laura Schwartz's book, Eat, Drink and Succeed! Great things can happen when having fun. 

I moved away from entertaining, part financial (24 furlough days can hurt a budget--more about that in later blogs), part laziness, and part the fear of leaving someone off the list. Writing this blog holds me accountable. So world, I’ll  start regularly entertaining again and let you know the outcome. Perhaps I’ll become a 21st century Pamela Harriman (without the affairs!). 

I continue to work on my aspiration of traveling and reaching the goal of visiting all 50 states. I have ten to go. I’ll knock one off this summer when I travel to Portland, Oregon for the World Domination Summit

Maybe my aspirations haven’t changed, just the road to get there is different. 

Please share your aspirations. Try putting out one that has previously been secret to you only. Perhaps by sharing you may be able to reach them.  Enjoy!

*For those of you new to the blog, these posts are inspired by John R. Dallas’  “We need to Have A Word."  It's my 52+ week journey of exploring the impact of words in this Twitter world.  If you would like to start at the beginning, go to: http://tinyurl.com/oyl69cn.



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home