Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Authenticity: Meaningless to Meaningful


In July, I attended the World Domination Summit in Portland, OR, where there was a lot of discussion about Authenticity. The conclusion is, if you're your authentic self, you'll be successful and have a ton fun in life. Authenticity, this week’s word. 

I’m looking for my authentic self. I have a vision of me searching in a jungle, all decked out in khaki, complete with the wide brimmed hat. But instead of a real jungle, it is the thick weeds in my brain that I'm hacking through to find my magical authentic self. There I am in the clearing, a cool woman who knows all, comfortable with herself, immune to what others think and having a blast.


Before I get there, I'm riddled with questions. Am I the good girl the nuns told me I should be? Am I the thin blond, the media tells me I should be? Am I the tough aggressive (not assertive) working girl? No, but I know these life-long influences add to my confusion of who my Authentic self is. 

So what does any girl who grew up in the Cosmo Quiz age do? She turns to the jungle of modern-day quizzes to help her find her authentic self. The best grown-up one I found is StrengthFinders 2.0, which is highly recommended by two people I admire: John R. Dallas, the author of the book this blog is based on, and personal coach, Arlene Butler. 

The quiz doesn’t tell you who your authentic self is, but it does identify your top strengths. These strengths, I believe can be an excellent guide you to your Authenticity. 

If you know me, I don’t think there was any surprise in the results. My strengths are: Woo, Adaptability, Empathy, Communication, and Individualization.

I have to say Woo, (love the challenge of meeting new people and winning them over) sounded a bit too whimsical for the real world! But, what is wrong with meeting new people and having them on your side? When I add in being empathetic, communicating well and recognizing their individuality, my woo can be pretty powerful. Therefore, being authentic is powerful. 

I recognize that Authenticity is a buzz word. In a New York Times article about authenticity, Naomi S. Barton, a linguistics professor at American University, believes that authentic has become a fad. Barton believes that it has been used so often, it's actually becoming meaningless.    

No wonder I’m confused about Authenticity, it means so much and yet now nothing? 

I don't believe Authenticity is meaningless, bit overused, but still powerful. Take a look at Urban Dictionary’s definition: Being who you are, listening to yourself and making your own decisions, rather than buying all the crap society foists on you. Keep it real. 

Let me know how you keep it real in a world that tells you otherwise. 

Enjoy being your authentic self. 

And, Happy Birthday to my sister Delia, a true authentic  person. 



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home